Root Beer Brats
Here's an easy recipe that's versatile, too. Serve the saucy brats over rice for one meal and have them on buns the next. For extra punch, add a splash of root beer concentrate to the sauce. —Pam Thompson, Girard, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook:6 hours
- 1 can (12 ounces) root beer
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 teaspoons ground mustard
- 3 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 10 Johnsonville® Original Brats
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) chili sauce
- 10 hoagie buns, toasted
- Thinly sliced red onion, optional
- Prepared mustard, optional
- Whisk first four ingredients until blended. In a large nonstick skillet, brown bratwursts over medium-high heat. Transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Add onion, chili sauce and root beer mixture.
- Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours (a thermometer inserted in sausage should read at least 160°). Serve in buns. If desired, top with onion and mustard.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 563 calories, 30g fat (10g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 1575mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 2g fiber), 20g protein.
Originally published as Slow Cooked Brats with Root Beer Sauce in Simple & Delicious December/January 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.