Braised Pork with Tomatillos
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 3 hours
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 bone-in pork shoulder roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 15 tomatillos, husks removed, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1 cup white wine
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- In a small dry skillet over medium heat, toast coriander and cumin seeds until aromatic, 1-2 minutes. Remove from skillet. Crush seeds using a spice grinder or mortar and pestle; set aside.
- Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper. In an ovenproof Dutch oven, brown roast in oil on all sides. Remove and set aside. Add tomatillos and onion to the pan; saute until tomatillos are tender and lightly charred. Add the garlic and crushed spices; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in 8 cups broth and return roast to pan. Bring to a boil. Cover and bake at 350° until pork is tender, 3 to 3-1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a large heavy saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Reduce heat to a gentle boil; slowly whisk in cornmeal. Cook and stir with a wooden spoon until polenta is thickened and pulls away cleanly from the sides of the pan, 15-20 minutes. Serve with pork.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 514 calories, 24g fat (7g saturated fat), 120mg cholesterol, 1160mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 41g protein.
Mar 31, 2018
My niece made this recipe for her family (my niece, her husband, 14 year old son and 11 year old daughter) and they all loved it! She followed the recipe exactly except she omitted the onion (as a family member cannot tolerate onion). Served with polenta, even her children liked the dish. A definite "make again" recipe!
Jan 10, 2018
Great recipe. Played with amount of broth to adjust thickness. Good with chicken too.