Lisa’s All-Day Sugar & Salt Pork Roast
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + marinating Cook: 6-1/4 hours
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sea salt, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 bone-in pork shoulder butt roast (6 to 8 pounds)
- 1/4 cup barbecue seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 12 hamburger buns or kaiser rolls, split
- Combine 1 cup sea salt and granulated sugar; rub onto all sides of roast. Place in a shallow dish; refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 300°. Using a kitchen knife, scrape salt and sugar coating from roast; discard any accumulated juices. Transfer pork to a large shallow roasting pan. Rub with barbecue seasoning; sprinkle with pepper. Roast until tender, 6-8 hours.
- Increase oven temperature to 500°. Combine brown sugar and 1 Tbsp. sea salt; sprinkle over cooked pork. Return pork to oven and roast until a crisp crust forms, 10-15 minutes. Remove; when cool enough to handle, shred meat with 2 forks. Serve warm on fresh buns or rolls.Freeze Option: Freeze cooled meat with some of the juices in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat though in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 534 calories, 24g fat (9g saturated fat), 135mg cholesterol, 2240mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 43g protein.
Oct 16, 2019
This pulled pork may very well change my life. I could not stop eating it and even decided to forego both the bottled BBQ sauce and bun so as not to take away from the meat. One thing I will do next time though is put foil in the bottom of the roasting pan ??
Mar 31, 2019
Wow! My husband usually smokes pork butts on the grill but after fixing one this way, he said he may never grill one again. The sugar/salt coating really set it apart flavor wise and the slow cooking in the oven ensured the tenderness.
May 28, 2018
Due to it being 93 degrees outside today I did this in the crockpot instead of the oven. It turned out perfect & full of flavor. I didn't think it was too salty at all. I will make this again for sure because my son LOVED it!
May 5, 2017
I actually made this in the crock pot. I had a 7 lb. roast and cooked it on low for 7 hours. I transferred it to a foil-lined baking sheet and finished in a 500 degree oven as the recipe specifies. Tasty! It seemed a little salty, so I may adjust the salt down next time.
Apr 17, 2017
My family loved this delicious version of pulled pork! I put a bottle of good BBQ sauce alongside, but I don't think anyone used any sauce--it was that good! I would caution anyone planning to make it that you need to plan ahead as my big pork butt roast was frozen, so I had to thaw that in the fridge and then let it marinate overnight in the sugar/salt rub, then bake all day. Well worth the effort, just be sure to leave enough time. I will definitely be making this again!