Lisa’s All-Day Sugar & Salt Pork Roast
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + marinating Cook: 6-1/4 hours
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sea salt, divided
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 bone-in pork shoulder butt roast (6 to 8 pounds)
- 1/4 cup barbecue seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 12 hamburger buns or kaiser rolls, split
- Combine 1 cup sea salt and granulated sugar; rub onto all sides of roast. Place in a shallow dish; refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 300°. Using a kitchen knife, scrape salt and sugar coating from roast; discard any accumulated juices. Transfer pork to a large shallow roasting pan. Rub with barbecue seasoning; sprinkle with pepper. Roast until tender, 6-8 hours.
- Increase oven temperature to 500°. Combine brown sugar and 1 Tbsp. sea salt; sprinkle over cooked pork. Return pork to oven until a crisp crust forms, 10-15 minutes. Remove; when cool enough to handle, shred meat with two forks. Serve warm on fresh buns or rolls.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 534 calories, 24g fat (9g saturated fat), 135mg cholesterol, 2240mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 43g protein.
May 28, 2018
Due to it being 93 degrees outside today I did this in the crockpot instead of the oven. It turned out perfect & full of flavor. I didn't think it was too salty at all. I will make this again for sure because my son LOVED it!
May 5, 2017
I actually made this in the crock pot. I had a 7 lb. roast and cooked it on low for 7 hours. I transferred it to a foil-lined baking sheet and finished in a 500 degree oven as the recipe specifies. Tasty! It seemed a little salty, so I may adjust the salt down next time.
Apr 17, 2017
My family loved this delicious version of pulled pork! I put a bottle of good BBQ sauce alongside, but I don't think anyone used any sauce--it was that good! I would caution anyone planning to make it that you need to plan ahead as my big pork butt roast was frozen, so I had to thaw that in the fridge and then let it marinate overnight in the sugar/salt rub, then bake all day. Well worth the effort, just be sure to leave enough time. I will definitely be making this again!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.