Honey-Soy Glazed Pork Roast
This moist pork roast, scented with warm spices and a with a dark brown-sugar, honey-glazed lacquered finish on top is very special and delicious. This recipe also works beautifully with lamb. —Ellen Ottoson, Springfield, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + standing Bake: 3-1/4 hours + standing
- 1 bone-in pork shoulder butt roast (4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 300°. Pat meat dry. Combine cinnamon, ginger, garlic powder and salt; sprinkle mixture over meat, patting to adhere. Insert whole cloves about 1 in. apart. Place on a rack in 15x10x1-in. baking pan lined with foil. Let stand 30 minutes. Bake until fork-tender, about 3 hours. Remove from oven; discard cloves. Increase oven setting to 425°.
- For glaze, microwave ingredients on high until sugar dissolves, about 1 minute. Brush glaze over roast. Return to oven until dark brown and caramelized, 12-15 minutes, brushing with glaze halfway through cooking. Remove from oven; let stand 45 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts4 ounces cooked pork: 341 calories, 17g fat (6g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 296mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 29g protein.
Originally published as Lacquered Pork Roast in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2018