Sweet-and-Sour Pot Roast
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 12 small white potatoes, peeled
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (about 3 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place potatoes in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Trim fat from roast; cut in half. In a large skillet, brown roast in oil on all sides. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon drippings; saute onion in reserved drippings until tender. Stir in the tomato sauce, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar and salt. Pour over roast.
- Cover and cook on high for 4-6 hours or until meat is tender. Before serving, pour sauce into a skillet. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until reduced and thickened. Serve with potatoes and beef.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 518 calories, 18g fat (7g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 661mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 4g fiber), 38g protein.
Apr 12, 2017
delicious! used honey instead of brown sugar because of our diet restrictions
Aug 25, 2016
Love, love, love this recipe! The sauce is really sooo good! I added about 1 1/2 pounds of baby carrots, a few stalks of celery cut into 2 inch pieces all to the top of the roast in a 6 quart slow cooker.
Feb 4, 2015
We loved this roast. Will definitely make this again.
Dec 19, 2014
This was so good for a different kind of pot roast
Dec 14, 2014
Very good roast recipe, and the potatoes came out perfect! Will definitely make this one again!
Mar 8, 2014
This is an easy and tasty pot roast. Nice to have the potatoes covered in the sauce! My company loved this dish, and I didn't change a thing!
Aug 28, 2013
This is the most fantastic slow-cooker pot roast recipe ever! I've been making it for years, and I'll share a secret: it's every bit as good with venison (we like elk) as with beef. Because we like them, I nearly always put thick-sliced onions in the pot before the rest of the ingredients, and generally sear the meat on the outside gas barbecue instead of on the stove top (cleaner, and still quick). Haven't had to cook the sauce at the end to reduce/thicken, either. Yummy!!!
Feb 17, 2013
This pot roast recipe is fantastic. I followed the recipe closely, although I added carrots too. I used white vinegar as that's what I had, and a can of chopped tomatoes instead of tomato sauce. I cooked it about 5 hours. Poured the juices into a sauce pan and added a couple spoons of corn starch to thicken it. It was perfectly tender and very tasty. I was a bit leery of the idea of sweet and sour -- wondered if it would overwhelm the beef. But really, we didn't detect a pronounced sweet and sour-ness so much as just really, really good flavor. I will be using this recipe again and again. Thanks for excellent recipe.
Jan 24, 2013
My mom used to make a sweet and sour pot roast. I was excited to find this one. It is really good and moist. Great flavor.
Nov 13, 2012
Easy to put together and very tasty. Has a definite tang to it. I think next time I will throw in some carrots with the potatoes.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.