Savory Mustard Pork Roast
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours + standing
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 3/4 cup stone-ground mustard
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper; brown in oil in a large skillet on all sides. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add tomatoes and onion; pour broth and wine around meat. Combine the mustard, garlic, honey, molasses and thyme; pour over pork. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast; cover and let stand for 15 minutes before slicing. Meanwhile, skim fat from cooking juices; transfer juices to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Slice pork and serve with sauce.
Nutrition Facts4 ounces cooked pork with 1/2 cup sauce: 395 calories, 21g fat (6g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 1103mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 2g fiber), 31g protein.
Mar 8, 2016
My husband and kids liked the flavor from the sauce. 4 stars says a lot because they aren't huge fans of pork. I made this to shake things up a bit.
Dec 6, 2014
I just made this tonight and it was delicious. A must make!! My hubby doesn't really like pork but he loved it!!
Feb 9, 2013
Excellent! My family thoroughly enjoyed it and it's going to be part of our meal planning for sure!
Jan 8, 2013
Easy recipe. Great flavors. Hats off to the chef that created this recipe.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.