Photo: Shutterstock / Tatiana Mihaliova
Vitamix machines have existed for decades, but recent technological advances have moved this product from something you’d click past on an infomercial to a top-of-the-line kitchen marvel.
What is It?
Vitamix is a blender on steroids. A regular blender does just what the name implies: blends. This product manages to cook while it blends, and quickly, too. Cooking a soup takes five minutes: throw the vegetables, broth and ingredients in and let the machine work its magic.
There are a few things that set these awesome machines apart:
- It’s Healthy. Despite the fast cook times, fruits’ and vegetables’ nutritional values aren’t lost, making Vitamix preferable to a microwave.
- Speed. Cook times are fast.
- Quality. I’m an avid crock-potting, soup-loving fiend, yet all my recipes have passed the taste test in my Vitamix.
- Variety. It makes cold smoothies are made as reliably as it does blended nut milk recipes.
How does it work?
Vitamix works by allowing users to manually control blending speeds, up to a whopping 2 horsepower, to give users the freedom to mix just about anything: cold cocktails, chip dips, cake batter, soups of all kinds… if it blends, the Vitamix can make it.
Furthermore, Vitamix can make something hot in a matter of minutes. Unlike microwaves which use high-frequency waves that tend to break down the nutritional value of produce, Vitamix heats by friction.
What can you make in it?
Any blended or mixed meal, hot or cold.
What can’t you make?
Things you wouldn’t like to eat mashed together, like lasagna.
Other things to consider…
- Cost. Vitamix’s price tag is definitely the biggest concern for most buyers. These machines have existed since 1985, so it is possible to snag refurbished older models at a fraction of the cost of a new machine.
- Space. These machines are as heavy and durable as an in-home safe. This is great for longevity—nobody ever claimed Vitamix machines suffered a short life span—but it will require shuffling cabinets around to find room for your new toy.
- Cost, Again. Fresh ingredients can be expensive, especially in winter when they are out of season.
Vitamix is a machine built around convenience. Its incredible processing speeds make complicated recipes, even hot soup recipes, in a matter of minutes. If you can afford to cut your cook times down to small fractions of the original, do something nice for your kitchen (and yourself) and splurge.