I love making this soup because it makes good use of leftovers from Thanksgiving. And it's quick, easy and tasty. No one feels as if they're eating leftovers because this soup is nothing like traditional turkey with gravy. —Margee Berry, White Salmon, Washington
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes6 servings (1-1/2 quarts)
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 jar (16 ounces) chunky salsa
- 1 can (15 ounces) hominy, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons chipotle hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey breast
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup crushed blue tortilla chips
- 1/4 cup shredded red or green cabbage
- In a large saucepan, combine the first 5 ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. Stir in turkey; heat through. Top servings with sour cream, cheese, cilantro, tortilla chips and cabbage.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 193 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 1080mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 19g protein.
Originally published as Post Day Poultry Posole Soup in Country Woman October/November 2013