Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 beef top sirloin steak (about 1 pound), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen vegetables for stew, thawed
- 1 jar (16 ounces) picante sauce
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add steak, basil, salt and pepper. Stir-fry until meat is no longer pink, 4-5 minutes; drain. Add garlic; cook 1 minute more.
- Stir in vegetables and picante sauce. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until vegetables are tender, 15-20 minutes. Stir in beans; cook until heated through, 4-5 minutes. Add spinach; cook until just starting to wilt, 1-2 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 191 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 1144mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 17g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 1, 2017
I saw this recipe in the February/March 2017 magazine and thought it looked good. It was easy to make and my husband loved it! We both love garlic so I doubled the amount. Toast up some crunchy bread to eat with this soup and it is a hearty meal.