Dill Chicken Soup
I could eat soup for every meal of the day, all year long. I particularly like dill and spinach—they add a brightness to this light and healthy soup. —Robin Haas, Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes6 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely shredded rotisserie chicken
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups frozen peas (about 6 ounces)
- 8 ounces fresh baby spinach (about 10 cups)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or 1 tablespoon dill weed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Coarsely ground pepper, optional
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Add carrots, onion and garlic; saute until carrots are tender, 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in orzo, chicken and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Stir in peas, spinach and dill; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until orzo is tender, 3-4 minutes. Stir in lemon juice. If desired, top each serving with coarsely ground pepper.