Dilled Cabbage Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (49-1/2 ounces) chicken broth, divided
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled, halved and sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 to 3 teaspoons snipped fresh dill
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, saute the cabbage, onion and celery in butter for 1 minute. Cover and cook on low for 10 minutes. Set aside 1/2 cup broth. Add potatoes and remaining broth to cabbage mixture.
- Whisk flour and reserved broth until smooth; stir into cabbage mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir a small amount of hot broth into sour cream; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Add dill and pepper; heat through (do not boil).
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 132 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 740mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Feb 19, 2011
I followed this recipe pretty much exactly as was written, and it was delicious. A definite keeper without needing to make any changes. The only thing I disagree on is the servings. My husband and I had this for dinner and there is only enough left for lunch tomorrow for one of us. Serving 8 with this as a main dish is stretching it quite a bit. It is too good to share!
May 29, 2009
Excellent side soup for a light supper. The dill adds an interesting taste that complements the cabbage well. The chicken broth makes the soup rich without adding too many calories.