Barbara’s Italian Wedding Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (19-1/2 ounces) Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 10 cups coarsely chopped escarole or spinach
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook sausage, shallots and garlic over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink, 6-8 minutes, breaking up sausage into crumbles. Drain.
- Add broth to sausage mixture; bring to a boil. Stir in orzo, pepper and escarole; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until orzo is tender, 10-12 minutes. Stir in parsley before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 197 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 780mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 6g fiber), 16g protein.
Dec 20, 2019
Delicious! I used mild Italian pork sausage and took it out of the casings. I didn’t have fresh spinach so I used frozen, which was still good, but I would I have preferred fresh and used 1/4 cup diced yellow onion instead of shallots This soup was really good, as is, but I decided on adding just a little more flavor for our taste so I added 1/2 tsp of Italian seasoning and then when done sprinkled Parmesan Cheese on each serving. Thankst Barbara. This recipe is a keeper!
Jan 8, 2019
This was so good!
Jan 1, 2018
This was super easy to make and tastes delicious! I used half hot Italian sausage and half mild. It has a nice kick and sure is good in the -9 degree weather we are having today. I used the spinach and love that there are so few ingredients and comes together so fast. Will definitely make again. Thanks for the easy, tasty recipe!
May 2, 2016
This is now my favorite soup! Love the flavor of the Italian sausage. It is easy to make & delicious. I will definitely be making it again, & again.