Barbara’s Italian Wedding Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (19-1/2 ounces) Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 10 cups coarsely chopped escarole or spinach
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook sausage, shallots and garlic over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, breaking up sausage into crumbles. Drain.
- Add broth to sausage mixture; bring to a boil. Stir in orzo, pepper and escarole; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-12 minutes or until orzo is tender. Stir in parsley before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 197 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 780mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 6g fiber), 16g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 1, 2018
This was super easy to make and tastes delicious! I used half hot Italian sausage and half mild. It has a nice kick and sure is good in the -9 degree weather we are having today. I used the spinach and love that there are so few ingredients and comes together so fast. Will definitely make again. Thanks for the easy, tasty recipe!
May 2, 2016
This is now my favorite soup! Love the flavor of the Italian sausage. It is easy to make & delicious. I will definitely be making it again, & again.