Quick Sausage Tortellini Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook 15 min.
Makes8 servings (3 quarts)
- 3 Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 jar (24 ounces) pasta sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups frozen cheese tortellini
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink and onion is tender, 5-7 minutes, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain. Add the garlic and pepper flakes; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, pasta sauce, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, vinegar, parsley flakes, sugar, oregano, salt and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Add tortellini; cook, uncovered, until tortellini are tender, 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve immediately. If desired, top with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 192 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 1167mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 4g fiber), 12g protein.
Jan 12, 2020
This was good! I made it tonight, just as written, except I sprinkled Asiago cheese on it at the end instead of parmesan. The flavors are wonderful. And it's quick and easy! I'll make this again for sure.
Sep 30, 2019
This was really good and pretty quick cooking. I loved the flavors, and I did use spicy Italian turkey sausage. It reminded me of my mom’s pasta fagioli, so I also added some chick peas. I know I will make this again
Sep 27, 2019
Such a quick and Yummy soup!! I added extra veggies in (personal preference) but i dont think it changed the flavor from the recipe as it is written.
Sep 11, 2019
I tried reviewing this recipe 9/10/2019. I did not see it shown! I had used 6 Italian turkey sausage links, 28-oz. crushed tomatoes (Italian-style),1/4 tsp. Buffalo wing sauce, 4 cups chicken broth and 2 cups water/2 bouillon cubes to make 6 total cups, 6-oz. tomato paste! Everything else was kept as is! This is truly a 5* recipe!
Sep 10, 2019
This is such a simple recipe to make yet so hearty and delicious. I served with shredded Parmesan and Asiago cheeses - it was fantastic and leftovers were even better. Will definitely add to our rotation, especially for the fall and winter months.