Quick Sausage Tortellini Soup
I love that this soup is easy to make and uses common ingredients found in the pantry. You can use other types of sausage or pasta if desired. —Annalise Lau, Newberg, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook 15 min.
Makes8 servings (3 quarts)
- 3 Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 jar (24 ounces) pasta sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups frozen cheese tortellini
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink and onion is tender, 5-7 minutes, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain. Add the garlic and pepper flakes; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, pasta sauce, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, vinegar, parsley flakes, sugar, oregano, salt and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Add tortellini; cook, uncovered, until tortellini are tender, 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve immediately. If desired, top with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 192 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 1167mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 4g fiber), 12g protein.
Originally published as Tortellini Soup in Simple & Delicious February/March 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.