Homemade soup mix makes a creamy sauce for this tender chicken recipe from LaDonna Reed of Ponca City, Oklahoma. “My husband, Jim, is trying his hand at coming up with new recipes, then we tweak them together. This one is good and easy.”
Recommended: 34 BBQ Side Dishes You Can Throw on the Grill
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 3 tablespoons Homemade Cream-Style Soup Mix
- 2/3 cup water
- 3 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cold water
- In a small skillet, saute mushrooms in butter until tender. In a microwave-safe bowl, whisk soup mix and water until smooth. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 2 minutes, whisking occasionally. Stir in mushrooms and set aside.
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, sprinkle 1/8 teaspoon pepper and seasoned salt over both sides of chicken. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until juices run clear.
- In a nonstick saucepan, combine the cream, wine or broth, onion, garlic, mushroom mixture and remaining pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into cream sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Drain spaghetti; top with chicken and sauce. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Grilled Chicken with Cream Sauce in Cooking for 2 Fall 2006, p16