Ramen-Veggie Chicken Salad
Like a salad with plenty of crunch? Then, this refreshing recipe from Linda Gearhart of Greensboro, North Carolina is sure to please. Toasted noodles, almonds and sesame seeds provide the crunchy topping.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 package (3 ounces) ramen noodles
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast half (6 ounces)
- 4 cups shredded Chinese or napa cabbage
- 1/2 large sweet red pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, julienned
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, oil, vinegar and soy sauce. Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 1 minute or until sugar is dissolved; set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, break noodles into small pieces (save seasoning packet for another use). In a small skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add the noodles, almonds and sesame seeds; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat for 4-6 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°.
- Meanwhile, arrange the cabbage, red pepper, onions and carrot on two serving plates. Slice chicken; place on salad. Top with noodle mixture; drizzle with dressing.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 857 calories, 53g fat (11g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 584mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 7g fiber), 29g protein.
Originally published as Napa Cabbage Salad in Cooking for 2 Summer 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.