Grilled Huli Huli Chicken
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + marinating Grill: 15 min.
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup sherry or chicken broth
- 2-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 24 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 6 pounds)
- In a small bowl, mix the first 6 ingredients. Reserve 1-1/3 cups for basting; cover and refrigerate. Divide remaining marinade between 2 large shallow dishes. Add 12 chicken thighs to each; turn to coat. Refrigerate, covered, for 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain chicken, discarding marinade.
- Grill chicken, covered, on an oiled rack over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°; baste occasionally with reserved marinade during the last 5 minutes.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts2 chicken thighs: 391 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 151mg cholesterol, 651mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 0 fiber), 43g protein.
May 28, 2020
Very good and easy to make!
May 22, 2020
After mixing marinate ingredients together, I thought it was a bit bland so I added extra garlic and ginger, also some hot pepper flakes and salt and it was a tasty terriaki style chicken. I'd say it was about average but I really liked the boneless and skinless thighs.
May 14, 2020
Made this a 2nd time and it did not disappoint again. Very aromatic while grilling, amazing taste, and juicy! Definitely going in the recipe box
May 11, 2020
I made this the other night and it was very good. Good taste, juicy chicken, and my husband, who doesn't like too many things new, liked it. The only thing I would caution against is- don't cook on a George Foreman grill. I think it was the brown sugar- it formed into a HARD shell and was nearly impossible to cut through it. I'm sure this is really good on an outside grill.
May 5, 2020
Loved this recipe taste was great .. I had boneless skinless breast in the freezer so used them .. I used all of the marinade on the chicken
May 3, 2020
Mace this last night, the only thing I didn't add was ginger (I forgot to buy it), this stuff was amazing!! My teenage son AND husband went back for seconds. This is going in my regular rotation!!!!
May 3, 2020
This turned out really well! I loved the flavor from the marinade. Delicious!
Apr 26, 2020
Tasted great. Cooked as recipe stated with exact quantities. Thighs were tender and a big hit with the family. Word of warning if cooking on a bbq. Be prepared for a lot of cleaning. I soaked grills overnight and the used oven cleaner. Our gerni high pressure cleaner still could not remove the vharred marinate. The brown sugar hardens like cement and i ended up using a hammer and screwdriver to try and get it to let go. Next time i will use a disposable foil grill on top of the bbq burners.
Apr 25, 2020
Fantastic that's it.
Apr 22, 2020
BEST RECIPE EVER!! I didn’t have ginger root and I did not marinate overnight, or grill lol But pan sauté with a little olive oil - covered to let the flavor simmer all the way through. The last 4 min I put pineapple slices on top of each piece of chicken breast. Then reduce down and serve! Yummmmm....