Margarita Chicken Quesadillas
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + marinating Bake: 10 min.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 3/4 cup thawed frozen limeade concentrate
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 medium sweet orange pepper, julienned
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, julienned
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 flour tortillas (10 inches)
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges, optional
- Place chicken in a large bowl. Add limeade concentrate and toss to coat. Cover bowl; refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the onion and sweet peppers in oil until tender; season with salt and pepper. Remove and set aside; wipe out skillet. Drain chicken and discard marinade.
- Grill chicken, covered, on a greased rack over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-8 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°. Cut chicken into 1/4-in. strips; set aside. On one half of each tortilla, layer Monterey Jack cheese, chicken, pepper mixture and cheddar cheese; fold over. Combine butter and lime juice; brush over tortillas.
- In same skillet used to cook vegetables, cook quesadillas over medium heat until cheese is melted, 2-3 minutes per side. Keep warm in oven while cooking remaining quesadillas. Cut each quesadilla into four wedges. Sprinkle with cilantro; serve with lime wedges if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 wedge: 204 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 288mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 12g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 30, 2018
My family is a big fan of Mexican food and these were a huge hit. I really loved the lime flavor in the chicken.
Feb 17, 2016
Delicious! My guests rave about these whenever I serve them and there are seldom any leftovers! I have never encountered any messiness from broiling the chicken like other reviewers but you certainly have to make sure you drain the marinade thoroughly prior to sticking the chicken under the broiler. I like my quesadillas on the crispy side, so after baking them I carefully broil them for a few minutes until they're browned. Wow, these are so good. Leftovers reheat well, too
Dec 29, 2015
This is a family favorite that I make frequently. I agree with justmbeth about the number of servings. We get 4 main dish servings from the recipe. I broil the chicken on a foil-covered pan because doing them on the stovetop grill or charcoal grill left a huge mess of burned limeade from when the sugar in it carmelized. The limeade does add a wonderful flavor to the meat, though.
Sep 1, 2014
Simple and very flavorful. Just need to remember to marinate ahead. I typically use Reynold's release on my baking sheets but I did not have any residual dripping/scorching from the lime/butter mixture that others commented on. Serving size says 16, but I would debate that. Probably more like 4, if prepared as a meal and not as a appetizer, and 8, if an appetizer.
Jun 23, 2014
This was amazing. We really enjoyed it. We grilled the chicken on a charcoal grill. Because of the added smokiness, we all agreed bacon and gouda cheese might be nice additions next time, but this was great as is.
May 27, 2014
This was really good. I wish I'd read blue_eyes998 review before I made this though, as the lime juice really did get all over my pan. (It was my first time broiling something, and my chicken was just a little dry, but that was my fault.) I really liked the lime-butter combo too. I look forward to making this again, after I get a dozen or so miles in on my treadmill. : )
Sep 11, 2013
Mar 6, 2013
This is really fantastic! It's become a favorite. I use a quesadilla maker, so that makes the wedges into sealed pockets for me. If you are going to broil the chicken, make sure you have aluminum foil on the bottom and up the sides of the pan, because that sugary limeade concentrate will drip and burn... and by the time your chicken is cooked you may find you've absolutely ruined a nonstick baking sheet. (I speak from experience.)
May 11, 2012
It was a very good chicken quesadilla, the lime flavor really came through in the chicken.
May 11, 2012
It was very good quesadilla, them lime flavor really came through on the chicken.