Chicken Tacos with Avocado Salsa
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 8 taco shells, warmed
- Place a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Brown chicken. Add water, sugar and seasonings. Cook 4-5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, gently mix avocado, corn, tomatoes and lime juice. Spoon chicken mixture into taco shells; top with avocado salsa. Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts2 tacos: 354 calories, 15g fat (3g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 474mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 6g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 fat.
Sep 1, 2016
The best!! Just a few changes... brown sugar instead of white. Added red onion, cilantro, salt and pepper to the salsa.
Jul 7, 2016
These were wonderful! I have more beef than chicken, so I made them with beef steak rather than chicken. The Avacado salsa adds so much! One of our new favorite meals!
Mar 14, 2016
The spices for the chicken are so flavorful and make the house smell amazing! The lime juice is what made the salsa for me, I could eat that all by itself. I doubled the recipe because our son came over to eat with us. Needles to say we did not have any leftovers. We ate this without the tortilla shells because my husband and I are trying to watch our carbs. He put everything on top of his fresh salad and loved it. Our son polished off anything that was left in the pan. Thank you for such a flavorful recipe. This will definitely be made in our house on a regular basis.
Mar 11, 2016
Quick dinner with lots of great seasonings. I needed to add more water when cooking. Everyone liked it well enough just not something they would request to have again. Great if you need to put dinner on fast though.
Jul 21, 2015
This is probably my favorite at-home taco recipe I've tried. I did add a jalape?o to the salsa.
Mar 2, 2015
Great for a quick, healthy dinner! However, if you had the time I think the salsa could have a lot more flavor just by adding some cilantro, onion, maybe a little jalape?o and salt. For additional garnishes for the tacos, we had sliced black olives, lettuce, onion and Greek yogurt (to substitute for sour cream). Like another reviewer, I did not have lime juice so I used lemon juice which was fine but I'm sure the lime juice would be a lot tastier :P Will definitely make again!
Sep 23, 2012
I found these to a be a great, quick dinner!
Sep 16, 2012
Very yummy! Loved the salsa. Will definitley make it again.
Sep 10, 2012
The chicken was delicious - it will be my go to chicken recipe for tacos even if I don't make the salsa.
Aug 16, 2012
Easy enough for my husband to make! Tasted good and the kids could customize their toppings.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.