Turkey and Cornbread Stuffed Poblanos
Give your Thanksgiving leftovers a south-of-the-border vibe with these zesty rellenos. They’re easy to make any time of year with roasted deli turkey and a box of corn stuffing. Adjust the heat by adding more or fewer peppers, or more or less adobo sauce. —Christine Friesenhahn, Boerne, Texas
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + standing Cook: 5 min.
- 6 large poblano peppers (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1-1/2 cups chopped cooked turkey
- 1-1/2 cups cooked cornbread stuffing
- 2 packages (8-1/2 ounces each ) cornbread/muffin mix
- 1 carton (8 ounces) egg substitute
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1 can (14 ounces) whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce plus 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- Place poblano peppers on a broiler pan. Broil 4 in. from heat until skins blister, about 5 minutes. With tongs, rotate peppers a quarter turn. Broil and rotate until all sides are blistered and blackened. Immediately place peppers in a large bowl; let stand, covered, 10 minutes.
- Peel off and discard charred skin. Cut and discard tops from peppers; remove seeds. In a small bowl, combine turkey and stuffing. Fill peppers with turkey mixture. Place corn muffin mix and egg substitute in separate shallow bowls. Roll stuffed peppers in corn muffin mix, then in egg substitute, then again in corn muffin mix.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1/2 in. of oil to 375°. Fry stuffed peppers, a few at a time, until browned, 2-4 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels.
- Place cranberry sauce, chipotle pepper and adobo sauce in a blender; cover and process until blended, about 10 seconds. Serve with peppers.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 592 calories, 33g fat (4g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 632mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 5g fiber), 17g protein.
Originally published as Turkey and Cornbread Stuffing Rellenos With Cranberry Chipotle Salsa in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2016