Turkey-Stuffed Acorn Squash
We stuff acorn squash with leftovers like turkey, dressing and cranberry sauce. Make as much or as little as you need to use everything up. —Cindy Romberg, Mississauga, Ontario
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 2 medium acorn squash (about 1-1/2 pounds each)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 2 cups cooked stuffing
- 1/2 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1/3 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cut each squash lengthwise in half; remove and discard seeds. Using a sharp knife, cut a thin slice from bottom of each half to allow them to lie flat. Place in a shallow roasting pan, hollow side down; add 1/4 in. of hot water. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place onion in a large microwave-safe bowl; microwave, covered, on high for 1-2 minutes or until tender. Stir in turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce and wine.
- Carefully remove squash from roasting pan; drain water. Return squash to pan, hollow side up; sprinkle with salt. Spoon turkey mixture into squash cavities. Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes longer or until heated through and squash is easily pierced with a fork.
Nutrition Facts1 stuffed acorn squash half: 502 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 875mg sodium, 73g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 9g fiber), 27g protein.
Originally published as Thanksgiving leftovers stuffed squash in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.