Acorn Squash with Cranberry Stuffing
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 2 medium acorn squash
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- Cut squash in half; discard seeds. Cut a thin slice from the bottom of squash halves so they sit flat. Place squash hollow side down in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Add 1/2 in. of water. Cover and bake at 375° for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, saute celery and onion in butter until tender. Add the apple, salt, lemon juice and pepper. Cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat until apple is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in the cranberries, sugar and water. Cook and stir until berries pop and liquid is syrupy.
- Turn squash halves over; fill with cranberry mixture. Cover and bake 10-15 minutes longer or until squash is tender.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 270 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 367mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 5g fiber), 2g protein.
Nov 3, 2017
I used my IP and steamed the acorn squash for 4 minutes. Perfect. Then I forked the squash halves and added just a touch of butter. I had frozen cranberry sauce leftover from last Christmas that I thawed out. I mixed the sauce with the forked squash just to blend it better. Loved it and so pretty.
May 8, 2017
This was THE big hit at our Christmas dinner! Everyone loved them!
Dec 25, 2012
I don't like whole cranberries, so I bought some store-bought jellied cranberry sauce and subbed it in for the sugar and whole cranberries. It worked brilliantly, and those of us at the table who like cranberry and squash (lol--some refused even to try it! they missed out...) LOVED it. I will definitely be making this again! Thank you!
Dec 20, 2012
Yum! I cut the sugar in half and used green onions because that's what was on hand. I just scooped out the flesh and then spread the cran-apple mix on top.
Dec 28, 2011
Found this recipe in 2009 Taste of Home Holiday Book. Husband wanted some acorn squash with our Christmas Ham. This was just plain perfect! Everyone raved how delicious and colorful this dish was and how it must become the new traditional Christmas side dish. Excellent!!
Oct 15, 2011
awesome!!! and something different
Nov 25, 2010
Made this for Thanksgiving. Looks Beautiful, everyone was impressed.
Oct 14, 2010
Try starting the squash in the microwave it only takes a few minutes to cook it and then ad the stuffing and finish in the oven.
Nov 25, 2008
This recipe took a little longer to make than I thought, but it was well worth it. As my husband said, "It's A Keeper! (and looks pretty too)
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.