Greek-Style Stuffed Acorn Squash
With a truckload of acorn squash in my pantry, I wanted to make stuffed squash in lots of different ways. A bottle of Greek seasoning got my creativity flowing. —Teri Rasey, Cadillac, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 3 medium acorn squash, halved and seeds removed
- 1 cup lentils
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 teaspoons Greek seasoning
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup french-fried onions
- Additional crumbled feta cheese, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place squash, cut side up, on a large baking sheet; roast until they can just be pierced with a fork, about 40 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Meanwhile, place lentils in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, covered, until tender, 20-25 minutes. Drain. Remove and set aside. In the same saucepan, bring chicken broth to a boil. Add orzo; cook according to package directions for al dente. Drain, reserving broth.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage, crumbling meat, until no longer pink, 6-8 minutes; drain. Add lentils and orzo to skillet; remove from heat. Add 1/2 cup feta cheese and Greek seasoning; mix well.
- Pour reserved chicken broth back into saucepan. Over medium heat, whisk in flour until thickened, then pour into sausage mixture.
- When cool enough to handle, quarter squash and return to baking sheet. Top with sausage mixture. Bake until squash are tender, about 30 minutes. Before serving, sprinkle with french-fried onions and, if desired, additional feta.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 335 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 704mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 13g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.