Ground Beef Stuffed Acorn Squash
Total TimePrep: 55 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2 large acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium tart apple, chopped
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1/4 cup sunflower kernels
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 5 teaspoons brown sugar, divided
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 4 teaspoons butter
- Invert squash in two ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Add water and cover with foil. Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, cook the beef, celery and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Add the apple, rice, sunflower kernels and curry. Cook and stir until apple is tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in the egg, 1 teaspoon brown sugar and 3/4 teaspoon salt.
- Place squash cut side up on a baking sheet. Place 1 teaspoon remaining brown sugar and 1 teaspoon butter in each half. Sprinkle with remaining salt. Fill with meat mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 stuffed squash half: 496 calories, 20g fat (7g saturated fat), 115mg cholesterol, 886mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 8g fiber), 23g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 17, 2019
This meal was terrible! From the blend between the sunflower kernels to the soft curried apples... this was a no go. Even my boyfriend took a bite and went “nope, what is that flavor? Nope”. Sadly I have to give this 0 stars and a sad face for wasting such good meat and squash.
Sep 19, 2017
Really delicious. After much skepticism, the kids devoured them and asked for leftovers.
Nov 2, 2013
This is an amazingly tasty dish and healthy too! I used wild rice and sliced toasted almonds,,,yum yum . Thank you Ruth
Feb 4, 2013
This is an awesome meal! I like to eat mostly vegetarian meals, so will try substituting mushrooms for the meat.
Nov 28, 2012
I was surprised at the delicious flavor and my 2 and 4 year old ate all their dinner for once! Easy to make dish. Made no changes.
Nov 21, 2011
The stuffing was delicious! I forgot roast the squash before stuffing (it was one of THOSE dinner prep nights) so we ended up microwaving the squash and then dumping the stuffing on top. It worked. I can't wait until next time when I make it the *right* way!
Jan 9, 2011
This was absolutely delicious and easy to make
Oct 29, 2010
New family favorite. Absolutely delicious.
Mar 12, 2010
This recipe is so delicious with its unique flavors. It has made itself into my "permenant rotation" of recipes.
Jan 7, 2010
We really enjoy stuffed squash, this recipe was close to another we enjoy- I love the combination of the baked apple and spices and warming delicious squash. Ahhh great fall winter dish! My husband thinks I am such an accomplished cook when I serve things like this.