Acorn Squash with Spinach Stuffing
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 3 small acorn squash
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 6 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Cut squash in half; discard seeds. Place squash, cut side down, in an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Fill pan with hot water to a depth of 1/2 in. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute celery and onions in oil until tender. Add the spinach and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook and stir until spinach is wilted.
- In a bowl, combine the bread crumbs, pecans and remaining salt. Drain water from baking pan. Turn squash cut side up. Stuff with spinach mixture; sprinkle crumb mixture over top. Dot with butter. Bake 15 minutes longer or until the squash is tender.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 189 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 337mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 6g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 14, 2014
I made this and omitted the butter, pecans, and only a dash of salt at the end of sauteing the spinach. This is a very good side dish. Since I only had one acorn squash I didn't use a whole package of spinach. Tasty and healthy!
Jun 4, 2013
Yum! used panko mixed with parmesan cheese instead of bread crumbs.
Nov 14, 2012
I made acorn squash for the first time using this recipe -- my husband and I both loved it! I sauteed some fresh garlic with the onions and celery. Next time I will try the parmesan suggestion, too!
Nov 4, 2012
This is an excellent recipe, I sprinkled fresh grated parmesan cheese on top after baking and put back into the oven to melt, I will definitely be making this often. Thank you for the great recipe and to the cook who suggested microwaving 4 min for cutting the squash easily.
Jan 31, 2012
Loved the flavors in this recipe as well as the ease of making it. I had to microwave the squash for a few minutes (about 4) in order to cut it safely as it was so hard. Next time I will brush the cut sides with additional butter for moisture and flavor but other than that, I loved it and will make it often!
Sep 28, 2011
I also added some white rice which was amazing!!