Cranberry Apple Stuffing
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 3/4 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 package (12 ounces) seasoned stuffing cubes
- 1-1/2 cups chopped apples
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried sage leaves
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash salt
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups apple cider or juice
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, celery, onion and garlic over medium heat until sausage no longer pink; drain. Add broth, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Add butter; cook and stir until butter is melted. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in stuffing cubes, apples, cranberries, almonds, sage, thyme, pepper, salt and enough cider to reach desired moistness. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Cover and bake 25 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 306 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 762mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Nov 26, 2017
Awesome recipe! Everyone raves about it when we make it. We've even made it with Gluten Free stuffing cubes and it's till delicious!
Nov 26, 2016
I thought this was very good, but my husband thought it was just ok. Admittedly, we used apple-chicken sausage instead of pork sausage since we had Thanksgiving guests who don't eat pork. While I was eating it, I kept thinking that bacon would have been a good addition to the stuffing, so it's probably better with real pork sausage. I also used pecans instead of almonds, since I don't like almonds. I did really love the addition of the pecans.
Nov 29, 2014
" I made this for our huge Thanksgiving get together. The only thing I would have done differently was make 2 pans instead of one!! My family loved it and I will now make it a tradition.
Nov 12, 2014
I have been making this recipe for the last 10 years and everyone keeps asking for it over and over!
Oct 14, 2014
I made this yesterday for Thanksgiving dinner (along with Classic Turkey Gravy from this site) and it was a big hit! I substituted chicken sausage for Italian and walnuts for the almonds, and used homemade seasoned bread cubes. No doubt this recipe will be making an appearance again next year.
Nov 29, 2013
This was very good. Could be a meal by itself.
Dec 29, 2011
Different, but so good! Everyone loved it and I will make it again for sure!
Dec 12, 2011
Definitely will make this again.
Nov 25, 2011
I didn't make the sausage with it, one of my diners was vegetarian. Everyone raved about it and wanted me to make it my regular stuffing for Thanksgiving.
Oct 28, 2011
This is so good!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.