Classic Stuffed Turkey
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 3-3/4 hours + standing
Makes12 servings (10 cups stuffing)
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 12 cups unseasoned stuffing cubes
- Warm water
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- Melted butter
- In a large skillet, saute the onions, celery and mushrooms in butter until tender. Add broth and seasonings; mix well. Place bread cubes in a large bowl; add mushroom mixture and toss to coat. Stir in enough warm water to reach desired moistness.
- Just before baking, loosely stuff turkey. Place any remaining stuffing in a greased baking dish; cover and refrigerated until ready to bake. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together with kitchen string. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Brush with melted butter.
- Bake turkey, uncovered, at 325° for 3-3/4 to 4-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 180° for the turkey and 165° for the stuffing, basting occasionally with pan drippings. (Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.)
- Bake additional stuffing, covered, for 30-40 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Cover turkey with foil and let stand for 20 minutes before removing stuffing and carving. If desired, thicken pan drippings for gravy.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 571 calories, 26g fat (11g saturated fat), 153mg cholesterol, 961mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 44g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 16, 2018
This is my Go to recipe for Thanksgiving I have cooked 3 -17# turkeys and a 30# turkey ?? this holiday season already! I usually add raisins, diced apples and sometimes Italian sausage. It always has raving reviews.
Jan 18, 2015
I made my very first Thanksgiving dinner in 1998 using this recipe. I have made it every year since. The original page from TOH is folded, worn, stained and tucked away in my one of my cookbooks until next Thanksgiving. I love that this recipe has become my tradition and everyone looks forward to it.I also love that the woman who submitted the recipe and I are from the same home town.
Nov 26, 2014
Just like my mom's Double YUM!!!!
Dec 19, 2013
This tastes just like my mom's stuffing! A friend made it, and just cooked it outside the turkey. The difference was, she used 2-3 cans of broth. It came out moist and tasting as if it had been stuffed into the turkey. I tried my mom's recipe for stuffing once or twice, but when I made it, it didn't taste the same. I don't know why not. But this recipe takes me right back in time!
Nov 21, 2013
When using day old bread instead of bread cubes how much do I use? I wanted to try this recipe for Thanksgiving this year so I honestly couldn't rate it.
Nov 29, 2012
This is my stuffing recipe!!!!
Nov 23, 2012
Only made the stuffing, but we thought it was really good.
Mar 25, 2012
I have made this recipe several times using leftover bread it is excellent and delicious