Turkey a La King
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup sliced celery
- 1/4 cup diced green pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 3 cups cubed cooked turkey or chicken
- 1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 6 slices bread, toasted
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, celery and green pepper in butter until tender. Stir in flour and sugar until a paste forms.
- Gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil; boil until thickened, about 1 minute. Reduce heat. Add cream, turkey and mushrooms; heat through. Serve with toast.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 297 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 591mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 24g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 28, 2019
This is wonderful! I added 2 hard boil eggs, handful of frozen peas and 1 - 4 oz jar of diced pimentos. I made it with chicken; but would also be delicious, I think, made with high quality tuna.
Jan 19, 2019
I've been using this recipe since one of my sisters-in-law shared it with me in 1984. The name of the recipe was "Anything You Like ala King". You can substitute seafood, hard-boiled eggs,