Pastry Chicken a la King
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen puff pastry shells
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen petite peas
- Bake pastry shells according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, red pepper, celery and onion; cook and stir until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened.
- In a small bowl, mix egg yolks and cream. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolk mixture; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Add lemon juice, salt, paprika and pepper; cook and stir over low heat for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken and peas; heat through. Serve over pastry shells.
Nutrition Facts1 shell with 3/4 cup filling: 452 calories, 27g fat (11g saturated fat), 138mg cholesterol, 588mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 24g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 12, 2016
This is quickly becoming a staple recipe in our home. The whole family loves it! I like to do all the prepping during the day, so cooking it at dinnertime is quick and easy!
Mar 19, 2013
My husband liked it, I didn't - too fussy and the flavor was bland. Not terrible, but not worth making again.