Pastry Chicken a la King
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen puff pastry shells
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen petite peas
- Bake pastry shells according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, red pepper, celery and onion; cook and stir until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened.
- In a small bowl, mix egg yolks and cream. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolk mixture; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Add lemon juice, salt, paprika and pepper; cook and stir over low heat for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken and peas; heat through. Serve over pastry shells.
Nutrition Facts1 shell with 3/4 cup filling: 452 calories, 27g fat (11g saturated fat), 138mg cholesterol, 588mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 24g protein.
Aug 12, 2016
This is quickly becoming a staple recipe in our home. The whole family loves it! I like to do all the prepping during the day, so cooking it at dinnertime is quick and easy!
Mar 19, 2013
My husband liked it, I didn't - too fussy and the flavor was bland. Not terrible, but not worth making again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.