Traditional Chicken A La King
We raise fryers to feed our family for months. And this is one of our favorite ways to prepare chicken. It's a traditional dish that's sure to please.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- Warm biscuits
- In large saucepan, saute the mushrooms, carrots, onion and green pepper in butter until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, pepper and sage; stir in milk and broth until smooth. Gradually add to vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened; Add peas and chicken.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 4-6 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Serve with biscuits.
Originally published as Chicken a la King in Country Chicken Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.