Ground Beef a la King
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen puff pastry shells
- 1 pound fresh baby carrots, cut in half
- 1-1/4 cups water, divided
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 package (8 ounces) sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Bake pastry shells according to package directions. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the carrots and 1 cup of water. Cover and microwave on high for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the beef, mushrooms and shallots over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Combine flour and broth until smooth. Add the broth mixture, tomato paste, wine, tarragon, salt, pepper and remaining water to beef mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Drain carrots; add to skillet. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove top of pastry shells; fill with beef mixture.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 481 calories, 23g fat (6g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 836mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 6g fiber), 29g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 29, 2018
I don't know what I did wrong. I followed the steps exactly except to omit the mushrooms and I cut the entire recipe in half. Maybe the red wine I used wasn't dry enough? I don't know. The flavor just wasn't there. We wound up having to add additional salt (which I almost never do). I'd consider trying this again with a different wine, maybe add in an additional vegetable to replace the mushrooms. But as-is, I wasn't impressed.
Feb 28, 2012
This recipe is great. The red wine made it just delicisous. I will definitely be making this again. The whole family loved it.