“Thanksgiving’s Not Over Yet” Enchilada Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
Makes8 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 large sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) green enchilada sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons ranch salad dressing mix
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- Optional toppings: crumbled queso fresco, shredded cheddar cheese, crushed tortilla chips, cubed avocado and minced fresh cilantro
- In a Dutch oven, saute the red pepper, onion and celery in oil until crisp-tender. Add the broth, enchilada sauce, pumpkin, corn, chilies and dressing mix. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in turkey and heat through. Garnish servings with toppings of your choice.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups (calculated without optional toppings): 209 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 1451mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 16g protein.
Sep 12, 2017
So delicious! Just what I was looking for. I had to use cooked chicken instead of turkey, and I'm sure that the turkey will taste better. I'm looking forward to the flavors blending over the next couple of days. I will definitely make this soup again.
Apr 21, 2014
This soup was definitely not a flavor I cared for initially. Though I love Verde enchilada sauce, and pumpkin in all its forms; when combined it produced a bitter flavor, I added some sugar to sweeten, as well as garlic, cumin, and white pinto beans. I simmered for several hours. Served with crushed tortilla chip and lots of shredded cheese. The alterations were the ticket for us!!....delicious, warm, and filling!!
Nov 12, 2013
This is delicious & has lots of flavor. I was really unsure about the pumpkin, but it balances well with the enchilada sauce. I adjusted a few things to use what I had on hand - used 3 cups of broth, 2 - 10 oz. cans of green enchilada sauce, canned corn & leftover chicken. And added a can of black beans. Would probably taste great with red enchilada sauce as well.
Oct 14, 2013
Oct 7, 2012
my family and i tried this soup and love it ifact used it twice once as soup and as enchilada sauce great recipe
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.