- 2 packages (6.8 ounces each) Spanish rice and pasta mix
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 3 cups cubed cooked turkey or chicken
- 1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
- In a large skillet, saute rice and vermicelli in butter until golden brown. Gradually stir in the water, tomatoes and contents of rice seasoning packets. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the turkey, corn, sour cream and 1/2 cup cheese. Stir in rice mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese (dish will be full). Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Spanish Rice Turkey Casserole
"This was tasty and moist. It was a great way to use up leftover turkey. It made a lot. Would probably add more turkey next time or cut the recipe in half and keep 3 cups turkey. We will make it again."
"The taste was amazing in this dish. I did substitute cooked ground beef in place of turkey. I live with my brother and he is not a big turkey fan. He loved this, even had seconds.Thanks for the recipe!"
"Great taste and easy to put together. I used boneless chicken breast and thighs instead of turkey because that is what I had on hand. Recipe is a good size to feed crew of hearty eaters."
"This is great. Just now eating it. I used canned chicken instead of Turkey and I used one can of Petite diced tomatoes and a cup of salsa. I also out some cooked onions in it. Other than that it is a great recipe. Family loved it."
"We've made this recipe over and over, using cooked chicken instead of turkey, and everyone loves it."
"Every time I share this dish I get asked for the recipe. This is one of my sons favorite dishes. I use fresh sweet corn instead of canned. Yummy."
"This recipe was yummy! I did change a few things. I kind of cut the recipe in half - there was plenty for four when served with mashed potatoes! I used 1 pkg of rice mix, 1/4 c butter, 2 c water, 1 can Hunt's Fire Roasted diced tomatoes, 1/2 c corn, 1/2 c sour cream and 1 and 1/2 c ched.cheese. I shredded almost 3 c turkey breast from a turkey done in the crockpot. When I mixed the tky, corn, sr. cr., and 1 c cheese, I added some hot sauce, salt and pepper to add some flavor to the tky mix. After mixing everything together, I put it in a smaller crockpot, topped it with the 1/2 c chese and cooked it on high for about an hour or so (it was bubbling). It turned out fantastic. We ate it over mashed potatoes - wonderful. Oh, and I only cooked the rice for 15 mins. so the extra juices could still cook in the tky mixture. Enjoy!"
"This was pretty good but not special enough to make again. Especially because the reason I tried it in the first place was only to use up leftover turkey. But the turkey was just plain weird in this recipe -- it would have been much better with chicken. I did use dark meat turkey so that probably didn't help."
"So easy to make, and the entire family loves!"