Sandwich for a Crowd
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) unsliced Italian bread
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound thinly sliced fully cooked ham
- 1 pound thinly sliced roast beef
- 12 to 14 thin slices dill pickle
- Cut the bread in half lengthwise. Hollow out top and bottom of loaves, leaving a 1/2-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use).
- In a large bowl, combine cheeses, onions, mayonnaise and Worcestershire sauce; spread over cut sides of bread. Layer with ham and roast beef on bottom and top halves; place pickles on bottom halves. Gently press halves together.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Cut into 1-1/2-in. slices.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 297 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 1141mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 21g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 14, 2019
This recipe is ideal for a crowd. So easy and so delicious! I sometimes add bacon to mine. Awesome recipe!
Jul 18, 2015
I've made this recipe for two different groups and was a huge hit both times. I made the sandwiches the night before, which is a great time saver, and sliced when ready to serve. We really enjoy this wonderful sandwich!
May 6, 2015
I have been making this sandwitch for years and years. I have even passed it along to family and everyone loves it. I have two children and both can be picky eaters and they both love it. Great to make ahead for late night baseball games and football games the kids have. I would recommend leaving the pickles off until ready to eat. It can make the bread a little soggy. My husband got excited when I mentioned making this tomorrow night for dinner.
May 1, 2014
This sandwich is a favorite of my family, and I have been making since I came across this recipe in a Taste of Home magazine years ago. Left-overs keep very well and it actually tastes even better on day 2 and 3!
Dec 21, 2013
Was looking through a cookbook and found the cutout of this. Made this - or one exactly this- for Shelby's graduation in 1998!!
Dec 11, 2013
Best sandwich ever for parties.
Sep 2, 2013
I have made this sandwich at least 30 times since it was published in 1998. The cream cheese layer adds so much flavor to a simple sub. Sometimes I cut it back to make a sandwich for 4, but I always used both ham and roast beef. That combo with the cream cheese layer is the best!
May 10, 2013
I have not tried it.... I have No diary husband, what would you suggest I use instead of the Cream Cheese??
Mar 28, 2013
This really is a good sandwich. The flavors together are very tasty.
Mar 2, 2013
This is one of the best sandwich recipes ever! I've been making it for over 10 years and every time I've served it, people devour it. It's hard to believe that something so simple could be so tasty. I absolutely love this sandwich.