Mojito Pulled Pork
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 1 boneless pork shoulder roast (4 to 5 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons each oregano, ground cumin, paprika and pepper
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, divided
- 2 medium onions, halved and sliced
- 1/4 cup canned chopped green chiles
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 16 sandwich buns, split
- Barbecue sauce and pickle chips
- Cut roast in half. Combine the salt, oregano, cumin, paprika and pepper; rub over pork. Place in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Mince cilantro to measure 1/4 cup; set aside. Trim remaining cilantro, discarding stems. Add the whole cilantro leaves, onions, chiles and garlic to the slow cooker. Combine the broth, orange juice and lime juice; pour over roast. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices; set aside 3 cups juices. Discard remaining juices. Shred pork with 2 forks and return to slow cooker. Stir in minced cilantro and reserved cooking juices; heat through. Spoon 1/2 cup meat onto each bun. Serve with barbecue sauce and pickle chips.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 418 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 916mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 29g protein.
Sep 3, 2015
Wonderful!! Everyone from young to old liked it. Served it with BBQ sauce bottle on the side. Smelled amazing while it was cooking.
Oct 6, 2013
Sorry, made exactly by recipe and found it to be bland. We wanted to eat it without barbecue sauce but it just didn't have enough flavor. Maybe less liquid so it doesn't water down the seasonings?
Oct 6, 2013
kids love it
Sep 23, 2013
I want to give this 3 stars, but the hubby said it was above average and warrants being made again. I had to guess on the amount of ingredients cause I used an old pork shoulder that was previously cut and frozen. I felt that this could have used more orange juice, lime juice and green chili. I really wanted that flavor to come thru but it didn't.
Aug 25, 2013
OMG! This was terrific. Did the prep work in the evening and in the morning added the liquids and when I got home from work it was ready to be shredded. I am not a BBQ sauce person, so this is right up myalley! Can't wait to make it again!
Aug 17, 2013
This recipe is definitely a keeper!! We ate it over rice with a side of plantains and it was so good! My husband is from Colombia and he loved it! Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe!
Nov 1, 2011
This is amazing! We had a pig roast, so I had a lot of leftover pork. I shredded it and put it in a crock pot and just added all of the ingredients. It worked out great! It is very flavorful. I will be making this again for sure!!! It's a must try! You will love it.
Aug 11, 2011
This turned out great, made it while I was camping. Everyone loved the flavor combinations!
Jun 16, 2011
With the recipe liquid, I braised the meat in the oven (covered dutch oven) for 4 hours and then shredded it. Everyone in the family loved it (and my kids a rather picky eaters) ! It was so yummy I had a request from my kids to make it again a day later.