BLT Waffle Sliders
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 12 bacon strips, cooked and drained
- 2 small tomatoes, sliced
- 6 lettuce leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat waffle maker. Whisk together first five ingredients. In another bowl, whisk egg yolks, milk and butter. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in cheese.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold into batter. Drop 1 heaping tablespoon of batter in the center of each waffle iron quadrant; bake according to manufacturer’s directions until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Cool on wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Spread mayonnaise evenly over half of the waffle pieces; top with bacon, tomatoes, lettuce, seasonings and remaining waffle pieces to make sliders. Serve immediately.
Prepare batter as instructed. Bake 3 waffles according to manufacturer’s directions until golden brown. Cut waffles into fourths. Spread mayonnaise on six; top with bacon, tomatoes, seasonings and remaining waffle pieces to make sandwiches. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 slider: 224 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 574mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Apr 28, 2017
There being just me, I cheated and used frozen waffles, toasted to a nice crisp, and the end result was outstanding. Nice idea for a quick lunch.
Oct 27, 2015
Always looking for new ways to serve breakfast for dinner. This recipe shot up to the head of the list as a hearty, delicious member of that class. Especially good for me, who believes all food is better in a sandwich!
Aug 6, 2010
We love this recipe. I often make it for a quick dinner. I usually double the recipe to feed my family and have enough leftovers for lunch the next day. I also do not separate my eggs. To lower the fat content I use 1T butter or Smart Balance and I will use bacon bits instead of bacon.
Mar 26, 2010
Fantastic, easy, and a wonderful change of pace. You won't be disappointed.