BBQ Chicken Sliders
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + brining Cook: 4 hours
- 1-1/2 quarts water
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup liquid smoke
- 1-1/2 cups hickory smoke-flavored barbecue sauce
- 16 slider buns or dinner rolls, split and warmed
- Deli coleslaw, optional
- In a large bowl, mix brine ingredients, stirring to dissolve brown sugar. Reserve 1 cup brine for cooking chicken; cover and refrigerate.
- Place chicken in bowl with remaining brine; turn to coat chicken. Cover and refrigerate 18-24 hours, turning occasionally.
- Remove chicken from brine and transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker; discard brine from bowl. Add reserved 1 cup brine and 1/3 cup liquid smoke to chicken. Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken; cool slightly. Discard cooking juices. Shred chicken with 2 forks and return to slow cooker. Stir in barbecue sauce; heat through. Serve on buns with coleslaw, if desired.
Nutrition Facts2 sliders: 376 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 883mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 30g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 30, 2018
I have made this recipe several times, and it has always been a winner. I serve the chicken on sweet Hawaiian rolls or over a bake potato.
Sep 19, 2017
We all enjoyed this, but I was not overly impressed. Would make it again. I doubled the recipe, but I am not positive you would need to double the brine. I feel 1 1/2 times would probably be sufficient. And if you like saucy BBQ you will need to add more sauce either when mixing together or at the table.
Jul 12, 2017
Made over this past weekend. I changed one thing and that was the liquid smoke. The second time I only added two tablespoons instead of the full 1/3 cup. I don't like things too smoky and it was perfect. Very tender chicken and I used my own homemade chipotle sauce and I did add extra because I too like it saucy. Very, very good. Oh by the way, the chicken was not mushy from soaking in the brine, I let my chicken soak for 16 hours. Delicious.
Jul 12, 2017
My family liked this. It seemed a little dry so I added more BBQ sauce, but then, we like things a little more saucy than most recipes suggest.
Jun 14, 2017
Good, a little dry so added more barbecue sauce.
Feb 7, 2017
I made this tonight for dinner and it turned out great. I did brine my chicken overnight and it wasn't mushy at all. The chicken was tender and delicious. The only change I made was to use chicken broth instead of water and omit the salt. My entire family loved this recipe.
Feb 4, 2017
According to America's Test Kitchen, my source for all cooking rules, NEVER brine chicken longer than an hour or it gets spongy.
Jun 22, 2016
This was Fantastic. I was worried that the chicken would dry out like it usually does with other crock pot recipes, but it didn't. the flavor was great!
Dec 30, 2015
Wow! Absolutely tremdous! Made exactly as written, flavor was perfect.
Oct 2, 2015
Was very good, made per recipe even though I was skeptical with that much liquid smoke. Wasn't overpowering at all.