When company dropped in by surprise, all I had was sausage and ground beef defrosted. We combined the two for juicy burgers on the grill. —BJ Larsen, Erie, Colorado
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 1 cup barbecue sauce, divided
- 16 Hawaiian sweet rolls, split
- Optional toppings: lettuce leaves, sliced plum tomatoes and red onion
- In a large bowl, mix beef and sausage lightly but thoroughly. Shape into sixteen 1/2-in.-thick patties.
- Grill patties, covered, over medium heat or broil 4-5 in. from heat 3-4 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160°; brush with 1/4 cup sauce during the last 2 minutes of cooking. Serve on rolls with remaining barbecue sauce; top as desired. Freeze option: Place patties on a plastic wrap-lined baking sheet; wrap and freeze until firm. Remove from pan and transfer to a large resealable plastic bag; return to freezer. To use, grill frozen patties as directed, increasing time as necessary.
Health Tip: Make these with 90 percent lean ground beef and turkey breakfast sausage and you’ll save nearly 100 calories and more than half the fat per serving.
Nutrition Facts2 sliders: 499 calories, 24g fat (9g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 885mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 2g fiber), 24g protein.
Originally published as BBQ Burgers in Simple & Delicious August/September 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.