When company dropped in by surprise, all I had was sausage and ground beef defrosted. We combined the two for juicy burgers on the grill. —BJ Larsen, Erie, Colorado
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 cup barbecue sauce, divided
- 16 Hawaiian sweet rolls, split
- Optional toppings: lettuce leaves, sliced plum tomatoes and red onion
- In a large bowl, mix beef and sausage lightly but thoroughly. Shape into sixteen 1/2-in.-thick patties.
- Grill patties, covered, over medium heat or broil 4-5 in. from heat until a thermometer reads 160°, 3-4 minutes on each side. Brush with 1/4 cup sauce during the last 2 minutes of cooking. Serve on rolls with remaining barbecue sauce; top as desired.
Freeze option: Place patties on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet; cover and freeze until firm. Remove from pan and transfer to an airtight container; return to freezer. To use, grill frozen patties as directed, increasing time as necessary.
Health Tip: Make these with 90 percent lean ground beef and turkey breakfast sausage and you’ll save nearly 100 calories and more than half the fat per serving.
Nutrition Facts2 sliders: 499 calories, 24g fat (9g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 885mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 2g fiber), 24g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as BBQ Burgers in Simple & Delicious August/September 2016