Gingerbread Belgian Waffles
I like to combine the sweet and spicy taste of gingerbread with the cool and dreamy taste of cream cheese frosting. It's a heavenly way to start the day! —Jannine Fisk, Malden, Massachusetts
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
Makes6 waffles (1-1/2 cups icing)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Beat first four ingredients until smooth; gradually beat in confectioners' sugar, then milk. Cover and set aside.
- Preheat Belgian waffle maker. Whisk together first eight waffle ingredients. In another bowl, whisk together egg yolks, buttermilk, melted butter, molasses and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients; stir just until moistened.
- In a clean bowl, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Gently fold into batter. Bake waffles according to manufacturers' directions. Drizzle with icing.
Nutrition Facts1 round waffle with 1/4 cup icing: 776 calories, 38g fat (23g saturated fat), 219mg cholesterol, 1188mg sodium, 97g carbohydrate (63g sugars, 1g fiber), 12g protein.
Originally published as Gingerbread Belgian Waffles with Cream Cheese Icing Drizzle in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2013