Gingerbread Buttermilk Waffles
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg, separated
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a small bowl, beat the brown sugar and egg yolk until fluffy; add the buttermilk, molasses and butter. Stir into dry ingredients just until combined.
- In another small bowl, beat the egg white and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into batter. Quickly spoon onto a preheated waffle iron. Bake according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar if desired. Freeze option: Cool waffles on wire racks. Freeze between layers of waxed paper in a resealable plastic freezer bag. To use, reheat waffles in a toaster on medium setting. Or, microwave each waffle on high for 30-60 seconds or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts2 filled pita half: 353 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 621mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 28, 2018
These waffles are delicious! Planning to freeze a double batch to share with family in a new year's trip. I didn't have cream of tartar but I just substituted white vinegar (1\4 tsp) and it was just fine. Yummmmmm!!!!
Dec 22, 2018
This recipe is very tasty! I’ve never had a waffle that you could eat without syrup, but this one is that flavorful!! The recipe only makes about 5 large round waffles, so plan accordingly if your family is big.
Dec 3, 2017
Wonderful!! The aroma is intoxicating! Perfect for Christmas morning. I will be making these ahead and freezing for a quick, mess-free holiday. Delicious with whipped cream too!
Dec 24, 2016
Incredible recipe. Waffles will feel very heavy as you take out of waffle iron. When you eat they are so light and fluffy. I made Lemon sauce that my grandma always served with gingerbread cake. It was awesome. I wold give more stars if they were there.lemon sauce: 3 T lemon juice, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 water,3 T butter ,1 egg beaten, lemon zest if you want and have ( you can use jarred juice). mix all in sauce pan continuously over medium heat until it JUST STARTS to boil do not let it fully boil IT will be thick enough to coat spoon, and a finger for testing! YUM
Jul 2, 2012
Wow, so yummy! I made these today and quadrupled the recipe so I could freeze a bunch that my family could eat for breakfast. I used 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour and 2 tablespoons of cornstarch just because. I also only used 3/4 cup of molasses and used only 3 tablespoons of brown sugar for a quadruple batch, WoW! Yes, it tastes fine. I also did not seperate the eggs, who has time for that? Instead of melted butter I used about a 1/4 cup of applesauce and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Very good, nice spicy flavor to keep waffles interesting. Great warmed up, they make me crave winter even more.
Dec 24, 2011
I make this every Christmas without fail.
Dec 12, 2010
These were a big hit for Sunday brunch. Not too sweet or spicy. Chewy texture reminded everyone of waffle cones. Will be making these again over the holidays!