Whole Wheat Pecan Waffles
We bought a new waffle maker, and along with it came a recipe. We finally decided to try it, and after a few changes we came up with these delicious waffles. —Sarah Morris, Joplin, Missouri
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, separated, room temperature
- 1-3/4 cups fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat waffle maker. Whisk together first 4 ingredients. In another bowl, whisk together egg yolks, milk and oil; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened.
- In a clean bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until stiff but not dry. Fold into batter. Bake waffles according to manufacturer’s directions until golden brown, sprinkling batter with pecans after pouring.
Freeze option: Cool waffles on wire racks. Freeze between layers of waxed paper in a freezer container. Reheat waffles in a toaster or toaster oven on medium setting.