Oatmeal Buttermilk Waffles
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes6-8 waffles (6-1/2 inches)
- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Peanut butter and/or applesauce, optional
- In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In another bowl, combine buttermilk, eggs and butter; stir into the dry ingredients until smooth. Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown. Serve with peanut butter and/or apple sauce if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 205 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 553mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 9g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 10, 2017
Surprisingly quite yummy, just a slightly different texture than a traditional waffle. I too added an extra 1/2 cup of all purpose flour, as suggested and didn't have buttermilk so mixed 2 tbsp vinegar and topped up to the 2 cup mark with 2% milk. Also great with cinnamon and/or chocolate chips. Kid approved!
Feb 13, 2012
I have made this recipe since it first came out in the June 1997 magazine. Healthy! Whenever my homemade kefir gets ahead of me, I use it in place of the buttermilk.
Aug 31, 2010
better if use 1/2 white all purpose flour and 1/2 whole wheat flour and separate the eggs and whisk egg whites until soft peaks and mix it into the batter last. Then it's yummy!!
May 8, 2008
too thin! I added another cup of white flour. The taste and texture were all right. I served them with a custard sauce and fruit.