- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup fresh or canned pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Optional: Butter and maple syrup
- In a large bowl, combine the first 9 ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, buttermilk, pumpkin and melted butter. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Bake in a preheated waffle maker according to manufacturer’s directions until golden brown. Serve with butter and syrup if desired.
Freeze option: Cool waffles on wire racks. Freeze between layers of waxed paper in an airtight freezer container. To use, reheat waffles in a toaster on medium setting. Or, microwave each waffle on high for 30-60 seconds or until heated through.
2 waffles (calculated without butter and syrup): 194 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 325mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.