Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes16 (4-inch) waffles
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, separated, room temperature
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, well drained
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- Additional chopped macadamia nuts, toasted, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the first 5 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, until sauce begins to thicken, 12-15 minutes; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Combine egg yolks, milk and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until combined. Stir in pineapple, coconut and nuts. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter (batter will be thick).
- Preheat waffle maker. Fill and bake according to manufacturer's directions. Serve with pineapple sauce and additional nuts if desired.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 446 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 495mg sodium, 76g carbohydrate (43g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Jul 26, 2019
Not sure what happened with the other reviewer, but this turned out wonderfully fluffy and I made the recipe as is. The crunch of the macadamia nuts was a wonderful surprise. This was a hit with the family.
Oct 26, 2018
Oh helllll naaaaaaahhhh. Waffle batter should never be "firm". I made this sounded delicious. But i added 1 more cup of milk when i realized it was horribly firm. And the waffles STILL ended up nearly HARD. SO the flavor was amazing but u must tinker with this recipe. do not indulge as is. Idk what the author was thinking. They may have forgotten a key ingredient such as OIL or WATER but i am VERY DISAPPOINTED
Feb 7, 2018
read that hawaii is a great place-lovely greenery-there was a serial called hawaii-5-0 .I used to see some 36-38 years back-isnt hawaii the place where the Indian coral trees certain things are used to meke leis-its called parijaat in india hindi language-there is a building close to a dermatologist I visited in palakkad called parijaat buildings-am writing from palakkad-kerala-India-southern India,also have recently made a friend in hawaii-just want to say I called to say I love you-anyway wonderful recipe-thanks.
Jan 13, 2013
These were so fantastic -- sweet, flavorful, easy -- thanks for such a fun alternative to regular waffles!
May 7, 2012
ince I already had commercially made pineapple ice cream topping in the fridge, I didn't make the topping listed, just added coconut to ours. Due to nut allergies, I subbed rice krispies for the nuts. They give a nutty flavor and crunch. I made Belgian waffles, and got 4 nice sized ones.
May 17, 2011
These waffles were awesome! My husband loved them! I am not a fan of flaked coconut, so I substituted 1/4 cup cream of coconut instead and they were perfect!