Sweet Potato Waffles
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 cup cold mashed sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- Maple syrup, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cardamom and salt. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks, sour cream, sweet potatoes, milk and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in pecans.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown. Serve with syrup.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 554 calories, 34g fat (14g saturated fat), 185mg cholesterol, 507mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 4g fiber), 13g protein.
Mar 21, 2016
My family loves these waffles. I also use 1 teaspoon of Cinnamon, 1 teaspoon of Allspice and 1 teaspoon of pure Vanilla extract. Much more flavor.......
Jul 13, 2013
I had high hopes for this recipe. However, the batter was too thick for waffles and the flavor was sorely lacking. Wont be making this recipe any time soon.
Jan 9, 2013
My whole family loved them. My son and husband do not like sweet potato but they both enjoyed these waffles. I served them with smoked salmon and warm brie.
Nov 5, 2012
My family loved this (kids age 10 & under)! I substituted cinnamon & nutmeg for the cardamom & coconut oil for the butter, and skipped the pecans (my kids like nuts plain, but not usually in things). Turned out great & I'd make them again.
Oct 23, 2011
Very yummy! I used pumpkin in place of sweet potatoes and replaced the cardamon with Cinnamon and Nutmeg. Will defiantly try with sweet potatoes next time!
Oct 22, 2011
This is definitely tomorrow's breakfast.
Oct 22, 2011
Definitely delicious! We love these!! Make them frequently!
Aug 21, 2011
Yum!! My family loves them! I often use canned pumpkin instead of sweet potatoes.
Jul 4, 2011
These were very plain tasting. They didn't taste bad, but didn't have much taste at all. I will try a different recipe.
Dec 13, 2010
The batter was very thick. A little complicated for a waffle recipe. I think this recipe would taste even better with dried cranberries instead of pecans.