Chocolate Chip-Banana Belgian Waffles
Gluten-free pancake mix and rice milk are the secret ingredients in this treat from my cookbook, Cooking for Isaiah: Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free Recipes for Easy, Delicious Meals. Chocolate and bananas never tasted better! —Silvana Nardone, Brooklyn, New York
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 2 cups store-bought gluten-free pancake mix, such as Cherrybrook Kitchen
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 cups rice milk
- 3 bananas, 1 mashed and 2 diagonally sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Toppings: chopped walnuts and hot fudge ice cream topping
- Preheat a Belgian waffle iron to medium-high. In a large bowl, whisk together the pancake mix, salt, cinnamon, egg, oil, milk, mashed banana and vanilla. Add the chocolate chips; stir until just combined.
- Grease the waffle iron with nonstick cooking spray. Pour a heaping 1/3 cup batter into each waffle iron quarter, spreading the batter out to the edges. Close and cook until the waffle is crisp and the waffle iron stops steaming, about 4 minutes. Repeat with the remaining batter. To serve, top the waffles with banana slices, walnuts and hot fudge.
Editor's Note: Read all ingredient labels for possible gluten and dairy content prior to use. Ingredient formulas can change, and production facilities vary among brands. If you’re concerned that your brand may contain gluten or dairy, contact the company.