Waffles with Vanilla Sauce
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
Makes6-8 waffles (6-1/2 inches)
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 3-2/3 cups milk, divided
- 6 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Fresh strawberries
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat egg yolks lightly. Add 1-2/3 cups milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Set aside 1/4 cup batter in a small bowl. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into remaining batter.
- Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown.
- In a saucepan, heat sugar and remaining milk until scalded. Stir a small amount into reserved batter; return all to pan. Bring to a boil; boil for 5-7 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; add vanilla and mix well (sauce will thicken upon standing). Serve over waffles. Top with berries.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 429 calories, 21g fat (5g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 558mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 1g fiber), 11g protein.
Nov 19, 2015
I found this while looking for a vanilla cream recipe like the one at ihop. This vanilla cream is even better than ihop's. I have not tried making the actual waffles. What I do is cut the recipe in half then use the batter to make a jar full of the vanilla cream! Crazy, I know, but my family has even stopped using syrup for pancakes!
Aug 26, 2015
I love the vanilla sauce and fresh strawberries! These waffles are a lighter, fluffier texture than other recipes.
Mar 23, 2013
This is a fantastic waffle recipe! I served it with fresh strawberries and blueberries, and it was a big hit! I did modify it by adding 2 Tbsp of sugar to the waffles, though.
Jan 12, 2013
My husband and I love waffles. This is my go to waffle recipe I have made them many time and they turn out fantastic. We love the white sauce on them!
May 30, 2010
A truly wonderful recipe. Great with fruit and the vanilla sauce is fantastic.
Oct 4, 2009
I LOVE this recipe! I'm a huge fan of fluffy waffles, but not a fan of maple surup. This vanilla sauce is a great variation-that is great with any type of fruit.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.