Apple Pie Ricotta Waffles
I had apples and ricotta cheese to use up, so instead of making a pie I decided to do something different. The result was these fluffy, tender waffles with just a hint of sweetness. —Teri Rasey, Cadillac, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 10 min./batch
- 1/4 cup butter
- 6 medium apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking grits
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free vanilla Greek yogurt
- Fresh blueberries, optional
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add apples, sugar, honey, cinnamon and vanilla; cook and stir until apples are crisp-tender, 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Preheat waffle maker. In a large bowl, whisk flour, grits, cornstarch, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, whisk eggs, buttermilk, ricotta, oil and vanilla until blended. Add to dry ingredients; stir just until moistened.
- Bake waffles according to manufacturer’s directions until golden brown. Serve with apple topping, yogurt and, if desired, blueberries.
Nutrition Facts1 topped waffle: 633 calories, 31g fat (8g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 709mg sodium, 70g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 4g fiber), 18g protein.
Originally published as Apple Pie Ricotta Waffles in Taste of Home August/September 2019