Chicago-Style Beef Rolls
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (4 to 5 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package Italian salad dressing mix
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 16 hoagie buns, split
- Sliced pepperoncini and pickled red pepper rings, optional
- Brown roast in oil on all sides in a large skillet; drain. Transfer beef to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Combine the broth, onion, dressing mix, garlic, Italian seasoning and pepper flakes in a large bowl; pour over roast.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until tender. Remove meat; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices. Shred beef with two forks and return to slow cooker; heat through. Place 1/2 cup on each roll, using a slotted spoon. Serve with pepperoncini and pepper rings if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich (calculated without optional toppings): 418 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 771mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 31g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 30, 2018
These were okay. I would say that you absolutely need the pepperoncini and red pepper for sure. I found them kind of dry too so we added a nice spicy BBQ sauce to them.
Jan 15, 2014
These were good. Pepperoncini and pepper rings were essential to the flavor of the sandwich.