Chicago-Style Beef Rolls
I have fond memories of eating these big, messy sandwiches at a neighbor's house when I was growing up. Freeze extras and save for another meal, too! —Trisha Kruse, Eagle, Idaho
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (4 to 5 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package Italian salad dressing mix
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 16 hoagie buns, split
- Sliced pepperoncini and pickled red pepper rings, optional
- Brown roast in oil on all sides in a large skillet; drain. Transfer beef to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Combine the broth, onion, dressing mix, garlic, Italian seasoning and pepper flakes in a large bowl; pour over roast.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until tender. Remove meat; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices. Shred beef with two forks and return to slow cooker; heat through. Place 1/2 cup on each roll, using a slotted spoon. Serve with pepperoncini and pepper rings if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich (calculated without optional toppings): 418 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 771mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 31g protein.
Originally published as Chicago Style Beef Rolls in Simple & Delicious April/May 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.