Spring Morning Casserole
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min. + standing
- 2 cups cut fresh asparagus (1-inch pieces)
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 8 cups cubed day old French bread
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, saute the asparagus, red pepper and onion in butter until tender; set aside.
- Place bread in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with ham, 1 cup cheese and vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, honey, salt and pepper. Pour over the top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 289 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 178mg cholesterol, 612mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 15g protein.
Apr 20, 2017
Made this at my daughter's and everyone loved it. She was out of honey, so I used maple syrup in stead. Yummy!
May 4, 2015
Delicious! And easy to make. I made it for Bible study brunch at church.
Apr 27, 2014
Loved it! I doubled the asparagus (only used the tips) and the ham.
Apr 7, 2013
I made recipe exactly as is for company visiting. It was wonderful. Loved that I could make a day ahead of time and just pop it in the oven the next morning.