Elegant Smoked Salmon Strata
This fancy overnight egg bake is ideal for guests. In the morning, you can simply let it come to room temperature and whip up side dishes as it bakes. Then get ready for compliments! —Lisa Speer, Palm Beach, Florida
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 55 min. + standing
- 4 cups cubed ciabatta bread
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese
- 10 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 pound smoked salmon or lox, coarsely chopped
- 8 large eggs
- 4 cups 2% milk
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Creme fraiche or sour cream and minced chives
- In a large bowl, toss bread cubes with butter and oil; transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheeses, onions and salmon. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, mustard, salt and pepper; pour over top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350° cover and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes longer. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with creme fraiche and chives.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 359 calories, 21g fat (11g saturated fat), 194mg cholesterol, 845mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 22g protein.
Originally published as Elegant and Easy Smoked Salmon Casserole in Simple & Delicious June/July 2011
May 31, 2016
Loved this recipe! I substituted goat cheese and cream cheese plus added dill. I would make this over and over again!
Feb 27, 2013
didn't think it was worth the time it look to make. just okay in my opinion